Luxor Temple


The Avenue of the Sphinxes once connected Luxor Temple and Karnak Temple and was

a XXX Dynasty (380-343 BC) addition




As with the Great Sphinx at Giza, there is the head of a man and the body of a lion




The temple gateway originally was flanked by two colossi and two obelisks - one obelisk

was removed by the French Army in 1835 and now stands on the Place de la Concorde in Paris.

The Paris obelisk, along with two other similar ones from other parts of Egypt, now located in Central

Park, New York City, and one near the Golden Jubilee Bridge in London, are often collectively

referred to as Cleopatra's needles, even though they were all constructed centuries before

Cleopatra's time (69-30 BC). 










Luxor Temple was principally constructed during the XVIII Dynasty (~1567-1320 BC) and

XVIX Dynasty (~1320-1200 BC)




Twin colossi of Ramses II guard the entrance to the temple










The Court of Amenophis III













The Mosque of Abu al-Haggag stands adjacent to Luxor Temple and

was probably built around 1000 AD




-Malvado Home-          -Giza 1-          -Giza 2-          -Khan al-Khalili-          -Dahshur 1-          -Dahshur 2-          

-Saqqara & Memphis-          -The Citadel-          -Old Cairo-          -Modern Cairo-          -**Karnak Temple-

-**Valley of the Kings-          -**Valley of the Queens-




** Denotes new photos added 26 May 2007